As we edge ever closer to Flux8’s release date, we’re all working hard fixing bugs, polishing levels and mastering music!
Here’s what we’ve been working on since the last devblog:
Over the last two weeks, I have been working on developing the background creation tools. The main part I have been working on is a tool to place background prefabs and spacers. As a part of this, I created a new snapping system to allow rooms to attach despite being different sizes. In addition, I have also made a new system to place scenery, such as wall mounted assets and clutter. Again, for each of these, I have added a feature to save and load.
This week I have been working on the Steam Workshop integration with the game. I have made a UI that allows you to upload your level with a screen shot, and apply updates to levels you have already uploaded. This will allow other users to download your level and play them from the main menu.
Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying to polish several parts of the game. This includes updating parts of the menu to be usable with controllers. I have also added the majority of achievements required for the game and set this up to work with Steam when we release.
During the past couple of weeks of working at Canalside Studios, I have been continuing with fixing and decorating levels at an increased rate in order to meet our deadline for testing. I have also been delegating tasks to the other designers, evenly splitting the remaining tasks so that we can release the game on time.
The past few weeks I have been working on polishing some of the levels ready for testing. The aim is to complete the levels for next Friday so there is plenty of time for testing before release on July 31st. I have also helped by working on the Steam page and plan to improve it further next week.
Lately I have been working on the levels in Flux8. I made a couple of red and a couple of co-op levels. Then I put all of them in scenes inside the editor, set up all the cameras in the scenes and started decorating them. I am close to finishing the red magnet campaign, which means that we only have the co-op campaign to finish now and all of the levels will be completed.
I’ve begun recording and processing the final batch of sound effects. Once I’ve got all of the sounds we need, I’ll be going through each level and making sure the balance between the different sounds is correct. I’ve also finished mixing and mastering a couple more pieces of music. I still have one or two more to do, but I’m hoping to have these finished by the end of next week. Here’s another one you might recognize if you played the free demo on Gamejolt.
As most of our work at the moment is stuff we’ve shown off before, instead of the usual video, we thought we’d show off some of our favourite bugs!
Starting with this “alternative” menu from a very early version of the game, before it even got it’s name!
Then there was the time Tess learned to fly!
And finally, my personal favourite: Reuben’s amazing growth ray! Not quite the intended effect of the lasers…