Another fortnight, another Devblog! Here’s what the Canalside Studios team have been up to since last time:

 

Liam:

 

Over the past 2 weeks I’ve continued working on level designs. During this period, I’ve begun bringing external people in to test the current levels as I make notes on their thoughts about the level and any problems they encountered. These notes have been collated and the required amendments are being performed.

Devblog 3 Liam's Level - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Liam’s Level – HudUniGames

Jonathan:

 

After coming back from a week long holiday, I have made several updates to the game. Firstly, I added several ramps and curves, as well as a new system for dragging custom ramps in the Level Editor. I also made a teleportation system where the player enters at one node and appears at the other and vice versa. Since coming back, I have also made new alterations to the Level Editor to allow magnet pads to be placed with variable width, as opposed to the multiple pre-set widths as there were previously. After discussion with the team, we decided to implement local multiplayer into the game. As such, I have begun working on a cooperative multiplayer mode for the game.
+ Bug Fixes

Devblog 3 Jonathan's Ramps - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Jonathan’s Ramps – HudUniGames

Matt:

 

I’ve been working on the connector disable system. This system allows the level to be less cluttered. I then worked on the visualisation system, which gives players an indication of where they are placing objects in the level editor. Finally, I implemented the physical line renderer. This basically gives the player a visual indication of what each button activates within the level.

Devblog 3 Matt's Line Renderer - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Matt’s Line Renderer – HudUniGames

Reuben:

 

Recently, I have moved away from working on the menu while I wait for new assets so I can update the level select screen. However, I did manage to add animations to the menu before this, which makes transitions smoother and switching between scenes more seamless. Currently I’m fixing bugs and finalising implementation of a feature which was started but never finished: the laser. This will be used by the player to activate a new kind of trigger. They must be careful though, as staying in the beam for too long will disintegrate their magnet.

Devblog 3 Reuben's Laser - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Reuben’s Laser – HudUniGames

Sam:

 

For the last 2 weeks I have been focusing on improving the visual aspects of the game. The main visual change this month was a decision to add more colour to the backgrounds, as well as create more interesting composition within the levels, using light and particles. I have also been redesigning the movable force blocks, in order to make them more interesting.

Devblog 3 Sam's Visuals - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Sam’s Visuals – HudUniGames

Harry:

 

I made some more UI art for the game which includes the level select and the level complete menus. All the menus will have effects on them later in the Unity project, such as distortion and pixelation to look retro. I also designed a few art styles and worked on optimising some of the levels to have lower draw calls.

Devblog 3 Harry's UI - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Harry’s UI – HudUniGames

Dimitar:

 

During the last week I made slightly easier levels for the co-op campaign that we are working on at the moment. I also made different sizes of prefabbed backgrounds to help the other designers on the team when polishing the levels. They are essential to us now, as having backgrounds that you can quickly place around the level makes our work easier and faster. Afterwards, I started exporting my levels from the in-game build editor to unity, so that I can set them up properly and ensure they work as intended.

Devblog 3 Dimitar's Level - HudUniGames

Devblog 3 Dimitar’s Level – HudUniGames

As always, you can check out the video below for a quick look at everyone’s work in action!