For Devblog 8, we thought we’d try something a bit different!
Recently, most of our efforts have been concentrated on preparing a playable demo of Flux8, which you can download Here on Game Jolt! Other than bug fixes and texturing, there isn’t really much to show. That’s why we’ve decided to try something a little different!
At Canalside Studios, Wednesday afternoon is our “Research Afternoon”. Each week, we put Flux8 to one side for a few hours to work on our own personal projects. Here’s a look at what we all get up to when we’re not building levels, writing code or recording sound effects!
For my personal project, I have been working on creating a space-based dogfighter game. The game is currently very basic, containing only a few mechanics. However, I have worked on implementing player controls, a weapon and health system with shields, as well as a camera system to both follow the player and lock onto the target. I have also put in an indicator which tracks where the target is on the screen and will lock to the edges of the screen, showing the distance to the current target. On top of this, I have made a start learning Unreal Engine 4, making use of C++ and following some tutorials to become proficient with the language and the engine.
For my personal project, I have been improving my skills in Unreal Engine. I haven’t used Unreal a lot, so I started with the FPS project and started making changes to it. It’s rather simple at the moment, with just toggle fire modes, but I am expanding on it as i go.
Y’arrgh, this is a mobile game I have been working on in my spare time and project days. It’s currently only a prototype to show off a couple of things like the wheel interface for controlling the boat. However, I do have some more plans to work on it in future, including adding enemies and gameplay objectives.
The most recent part of the game I have been working on is the map generation which I am now going to use when generating paths for enemies to take around the map. This will involve using an implementation of A* to find the quickest path to the player.
For the past couple of research days we have had, I have been working on a modular sci-fi corridor, which I hope to put into my portfolio once it is done. The segment that is in the image is the first of several modular pieces I will be making, along with pipes, panels and other sci-fi elements.
For my research day I have been working on two projects, a MP4-12C Mclaren and a modern living room. I created the Mclaren in my first year of university but never finished it, I went back to it and began retopologising it so I could take a render/wireframe for my portfolio. I have also started a modern living room which is inspired from multiple pictures. My aim is to create a scene that will show multiple skills and techniques across different pieces of software.
In my personal project time I’m trying to refine my skills in animation. I looked at a multitude of videos teaching boxing techniques, from performing a well executed hit to the subtle movement of the body between hits. I am animating the upper bodies of the two characters first to get a sense of how far can they reach and if they are capable of dodging hits. When I do this, I will concentrate on the leg movements as they are slightly more complicated and depend on the upper body movement (for example: when a fighter prepares and executes a hit, his legs react to give him balance and flexibility so that he can move back or react quickly).
I also started modelling a mech. As the project is in an early state I am blocking out the different pieces of the machine using a couple of concept pictures.
I’ve started recreating an old Drum & Bass track I wrote a few years ago. I always liked the composition, but I didn’t mix or master it very well. It sounds over-compressed and the bass is way too loud. Now that a few years have passed and I’m better at mixing, I thought I’d give it another go. You can listen to the original version below.
Watch the video below for a glimpse at everyone’s work!