We’ve had some great feedback from people playing the Flux8 demo!
We’re continuing to make improvements and implement new ideas! Here’s what we’ve been up to recently:
I’ve been continuing development on the levels within the game. The levels I’ve created focus mainly on more advanced mechanics, such as the polarity switch gate and lasers.
Over the last few weeks, I have been working on creating a background generator for the level editor to speed up the level building process and give players a background for their levels. The generator uses pre-built sections which are assembled in a grid to fit the level. I made this so it could also take in a seed to get the same background generated multiple times. I also made new magnet pads which can stretch in the middle, whilst keeping the ends the correct size, using a series of models which Sam made. Following this, I created a tool to swap out the old magnet pads with the new ones I had added in. In addition, I added a new method to draw out the rails which the moving platforms run on, using a similar method to the magnet pads.
This week I have been working on improving the jumping system. Before, it only checked directly under the player but now it checks in an area, making it easier to complete accurate jumps.
I also started work on the workshop UI for downloading player-made levels.
Over the last few weeks, I have been working on a number of different parts of the game. Firstly I worked on adding a few things to the level editor such as adding UI to make configuring the movable blocks more intuitive.
Another addition to the level editor was the new spinner obstacles which the player has to avoid being hit by. Finally, I worked some more on the main menu to add a “mail system”, to give background story information, and also a screen to show the player’s progress finding collectibles.
For the past few weeks I have been working on decorating the levels previously made by Liam. I have also tried to incorporate other mechanics into the levels which were made after the levels were built. My aim for the next few weeks is to continue decorating and testing the levels in preparation for the game release on July 31st.
In the past week I worked on mainly creating even more background prefabs for our level editor and fixing/ adjusting some previous levels.
I’ve been composing music for the Co-Op levels. I decided these levels needed to have more upbeat, energetic music than in single player. I’m hoping to mix and master some of the other tracks I’ve been working on over the next couple of weeks and get them into the game.
As usual, you can view our work in the video below!